Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Flying with Magpies: Vanessa Gebbie's News

Today the virtual tour for Too Many Magpies stops at the blog of Words from a Glass Bubble author, Vanessa Gebbie. Vanessa was staying with me in the last couple of days, so, unusually for a virtual tour, we were able to conduct an interview in person. The night before Vanessa arrived I fell down a flight of stairs, and Vanessa uses this as a thematic springboard for a pretty wide-ranging discussion about not only Magpies but about my writing in general.

The fall was a pretty bad one, actually: I fell literally head over heels and knocked my head several times, but fortunately I have emerged with only soreness all down one side, several bumps on my head and a slight whiplash injury. I must say, though, that as I was falling and aware that my head was being knocked over and over, I really did think I'd had it, and those who have been following the progress of my current novel may be interested in the fact that as I lay on the floor at the bottom thinking I might be dying, the only other thing that went through my head was, 'Oh no, I never finished the novel!' followed by the next thought: 'Oh, well, in the greater scheme of things: another death, another lost novel, what does it really matter?'

6 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

Oh, Elizabeth, crikey - hope you're good as new very soon. Not a nice experience. Looking forward to reading that interview though :)

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thanks, Rachel. I'm just very glad to be alive!

adele said...

Gosh, that sounds HORRENDOUS! I am so glad you're okay now...but scary or what??

Elizabeth Baines said...

Very scary, Adele. I'm quite scared of stairs, now!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your fall; I really hope you're okay!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thank you, Barabara. I'm healing amazingly rapidly, I'm glad to say.