Friday, July 31, 2009

How not to try to finish a story

This week I've been writing a new short story, and yesterday I nearly finished the first draft. But the ending was so complicated and subtle (well, at least I think it is!) and needed, as far as I could see, such a job of orchestration, that I decided there was no way I could tackle it, tired as I was by then, at the end of the morning. I would let it simmer overnight and do it today.

But today my novel, Too Many Magpies, is going to press, and this morning we have been doing some tiny last-minute tweaks, and needless to say there is no way I have been able to concentrate on the story...!

Ah well, tomorrow...

4 comments:

Nik Perring said...

Pretty lovely distraction to have though huh!!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Well, true, Nik!

Unknown said...

I had a question about you story-Compass and Torch. What is the boys name in the story?

Elizabeth Baines said...

Hello, Karla. The boy doesn't have a name. Or rather, obviously he must have one, but his name is not one of the things the story is concerned with. The story is concerned with the things he probably shares with lots of boys (and girls), the feelings you get when your parents split up. It's a feeling shared by all sorts of boys and girls with many different names, and my idea in not naming him was to show that, to allow that truth in the story.