As I have mentioned, at the beginning of June I went to Arras in northern France to deliver a keynote lecture at the conference of The European Network for Short Fiction Research (ENSFR) (co-founded by my colleague Ailsa Cox), and which this year was on the topic of the publication of short stories in magazines and journals. I talked about my career as a short story writer, and inevitably about the magazine Ailsa and I co-founded and edited, metropolitan. I really enjoyed the conference: it was a nice friendly event, and I made some lovely new contacts. It was terribly cold, though - often we were sitting in our coats during presentations - which is hard to believe, when, the day after I got back, the long punishing heatwave began. On the morning after the conference I got to wander around Arras, a quaint town with Flemish-style buildings and huge cobbled squares, before going for my train (pic above, taken by a jolly market trader I passed, and who made me laugh.)
Anyway, after my presentation, Andrea Marzocchi, who had given his own very interesting and amusing talk on flash fiction written during Covid, invited me onto his excellent podcast, A Small Good Thing, to talk about both my short-story writing career and my writing in general. I was delighted, of course. The interview was released this week, and can be listened to here.



No comments:
Post a Comment