Monday, September 26, 2011

Disbury Arts Festival Reading

Didsbury Arts Festival kicked off on Saturday. Yesterday morning I was moved to tears by the sight of these little boys playing with the Third Davyhulme Scout and Guide Marching Band outside the library. The little drummer was amazing - he did a solo, and the whole forecourt went wild.



In the afternoon the sun came out and I moseyed down to Parsonage Gardens to hear Nick Royle read two spooky bird stories in an amazingly apt setting: under the yew trees in the pet cemetery where one-time tenant Fletcher Moss buried several of his pets including his horse. The parsonage itself, which has been shut up for some years now and is said to be haunted - Fletcher Moss himself vowed it was haunted - has been saved and is to be opened once more by the Civic Society, so maybe next year there can be spooky stories inside!

My own event is at 7.30 tonight upstairs in the health food shop, Healthy Spirit (37 Barlow Moor Road), 7.30. I'll be talking about The Birth Machine. There will be wine, and discount copies on sale. I've bought the wine already...

4 comments:

adele said...

Makes me come over all nostalgic! And I've got a story in Nick's collection. Sounds like a super festival this year! Good luck with your reading...which has probably happened by now.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Was that the Murmurtions anthology? I didn't go to the launch because it clashed with my own reading! I was amazed that I got an audience, in fact, but luckily I did. Hope the launch did too...

Shelley said...

There's something about a child really, seriously, playing an instrument that is always moving.

And as a writer, I want to congratulate you on being chosen for the Wikio Top Blogs list!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thank you, Shelley.