Thursday, August 07, 2008

Raymond Carver short story competition

So there I was with my rickety mobile broadband, having driven all the way down the mountain and into Caernarfon before I got a connection, sitting in the car in the middle of the wind- and rain-swept Castle Square, and I finally got my emails - including one telling me that my recent story 'Used to Be' has come third in the Carve Mag Raymond Carver short story competition.

So let me eat humble pie. Honestly, always going on about how conventional and conservative short story competitions are, and how (nose in the air) I'm into innovation myself, and then I go and get a prize in one of the blighters! But actually, I must say that (though I may be wrong) I consider this particular story one of my most innovative - it's specifically and explicitly about the contingency of story and the fluidity of all those old short story tropes - metaphor, character, etc - in the face of our particular contemporary uncertainty. So I'll admit it, I'm really thrilled that it's been acknowledged in this way, and feel really privileged!

And I bought a different mobile broadband (what a waste of dosh!) and so though I'm still on the mountain I'm back in blogging business sooner than I expected...

6 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

Congratulations, great news! That's puts pay to everything I moan about about American competitions not liking British writing, etc... etc..Lovely! Funnily enough, I sent in my most "traditional" story to that comp, nothing innovative or wierd at all, and it got nowhere - but it won two other prizes elsewhere. Just shows you...something. Well, that luckily, every judge likes something different. We reviewed the Carve comp judge Cristina Henriquez's collection on the Short Review, if you're interested to see what she writes.

Congratulations!!! I hope you have a wonderful Welsh celebration.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thanks Tania, and thanks for the link. I'm interested to see that Cristina's writing is described as 'plain' (though elegant) - I guess that fits the ethos of Raymond Carver. (Hadn't previously thought of my own writing as fitting that ethos though - though of course not all story judges stick to their own kind of writing when judging!)

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats!

Innovation or no innovation, a prize is a boost - whatever we all say about them!

Mazel Tov, as they say...

xx

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thanks, Katy! You're right of course, as ever...

And Tania, I wanted to say congrats to you i return for the THREE prizes you have won this week, but each time I try to leave a comment on your blog it gets bounced back to me. Wonderful news!!!

nmj said...

Am thrilled for you, Elizabeth - Congratulations! Nasim x

Elizabeth Baines said...

Thanks, Nasim! x