Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Culture shifts and novel adjustments

Back in Manc this evening and about to work some on the novel again. John said in retrospect that he felt I needed a different emphasis in one section of the novel, and after a LONG talk (I was a bit resistant to begin with) in the pub (The Anglesey in Caernarfon), while the sea  came in and the harbour we could see through the pub window went from half-full to full,  I decided he was right, so I'm about to work on that bit, as well as see to the typos etc he found. (Is a book ever finished?)

Feels odd to be back in town again. Only ten days or so away and Didsbury feels like a foreign country. Which is one good reason for going away: you see the place with new eyes when you come back. However, I'm very glad to say that my grip on the novel survived the culture shock of both shifts.

2 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

I'm looking forward to my son starting playgroup in August, when I can get my teeth into some revisions.

Best of luck with the changes.

Elizabeth Baines said...

All the best with that, Rachel. It's such a release, I found, when you get those extra few hours a day.