Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Carys Bray reviews The Birth Machine

Having just discussed Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night with the reading group (yesterday's post) and considered the reasons that the revised edition has fallen out of favour, I was beginning to feel a little edgy about the revised edition of The Birth Machine, since, as blogger and writer Adrian Slatcher commented at the Manchester launch, by bringing Chapter 4 of the originally published version to the beginning, the new edition makes a very similar change to the one made to Fitzgerald's novel.

However, Carys Bray has now written an in-depth review of The Birth Machine showing how the current structure conveys the themes, and so I feel entirely vindicated. After all, it is how I wrote the book in the first place (see my Author's Note on the Salt website)...

Carys concurs with Lisa Glass's recent review in finding 'the masterful examination of "polite cowardice" compelling', and calls it 'a disturbing and thought-provoking meditation on power, control and the uncertain language of logic'.

2 comments:

Carys said...

I know the author is supposedly 'dead' however one of the things I really liked about 'The Birth Machine' was the chance to hear from the author (you!) after I'd read the novel. It's something that I also really like about Zoe Lambert's collection 'The War Tour'. Each book concludes with an irresistible peek behind the curtain at the creative wizard, giving the reader an opportunity to re-examine her own interpretation of the work.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Yes, I liked the Afterword in 'The War Tour'. It does exactly that: allow you to re-examine your own interpretation. And thank you, Carys, for your review of TBM!