Sunday, March 29, 2009

Eco-Libris collaboration for my new novel


I'm very excited. Following in the steps of fellow Salt writer Tania Hershman, I'm joining forces with Eco-Libris who will plant a tree for every copy printed of my novel Too Many Magpies which comes from Salt in October. (Tania has done the same with her great collection of stories The White Road.)

It seemed especially apt to do this with Too Many Magpies. The book indeed has an environmental theme, being about a woman whose faith in science is undermined as the natural world around her becomes ever more uncertain and she meets a man who seems to offer a different, more magical kind of power. It's a novel about our rational and irrational fears in a newly precarious world, and the scientific and magical modes of thinking which have got us to where we are now.

It's no surprise, I guess, that I should write about such things: I've been passionate about the natural world since I was a child, and this arrangement with Eco-Libris makes me not only excited but actually proud!

Eco-Libris are a green company aiming to point out the environmental impact of the book industry - more than 30 million trees are cut down annually for virgin paper to be used for the production of books sold in the U.S. alone - and to balance this out by working with the creators and readers of books by planting trees. You can join forces with them as an individual reader and have a tree planted for every book you read.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a 'novel idea' (pardon the pun). Good to tie the two things together - very neat :)

Tania Hershman said...

I am so thrilled! Wonderful news, Eco-Libris are true lovers of books and of the planet at the same time, partnering with them is something all authors and publishers should consider. Looking forward to planting my tree for a copy of your book!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Hee hee.

Elizabeth Baines said...

I meant hee hee re the novel idea, Barbara.

Yes, Tania, it's very exciting.

annie clarkson said...

That's great, really good idea, I first heard of it because of Tania's book and think it is such a wonderful and responsible idea.

Elizabeth Baines said...

Annie, it's thanks to Tania that I became properly aware of it too. I thoroughly recommend it as a course for writers publishing a book.