Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Edge Hill Prize shortlist

So here's a prize I didn't get on the shortlist for:

Tania Hershman sends me this:

The second Edge Hill Prize shortlist was announced on Saturday 10 May, at the climax of the Oceans of Stories Conference, hosted by Liverpool John Moores University and Edge Hill University. Author Helen Simpson presented the shortlist, which was selected by three judges: author Hilary Mantel, BBC Producer Duncan Minshull, and Prof. Rhiannon Evans.

The shortlist in full is:

Tiny Deaths by Robert Shearman (Comma Press)
The Separate Heart by Simon Robson (Jonathan Cape)
Walk the Blue Fields by Claire Keegan (Faber and Faber)
The People on Privilege Hill by Jane Gardam (Chatto and Windus)
Old Devil Moon by Christopher Fowler (Serpent’s Tail)


It's hard to comment if you're involved (though I don't even know if I was involved, since each publisher was allowed to enter only two books and my publishers Salt would have had to choose between several of the short story collections they have published this year). So apart from noting that, unlike the Frank O'Connor long list, this one leans towards established publishers (Comma being the one truly small press), I'll confine myself to saying many congratulations to these authors.

More about the prize here.

3 comments:

Caroline said...

I went to the conference and was very interested to hear Ra Page (from Comma Press) talking about what makes a good short story collection. He was part of the panel with Duncan Minshull and Anthony Delgrado (blechrome).

The conference was very academic, postgraduate and graduate papers being presented. I must admit that I left with many questions that I hope to find answers for.

I am hearing increasingly good things about Salt (as in being mentioned by so many people) and am surprised that they did not feature on the shortlist.

Tania Hershman said...

Hi Elizabeth,
so sorry that I was the bearer of the not-so-happy news. It's a shame they didn't announce a longlist, it is a great thing that the Frank O'Connor prize does, which brings attention to many more short story collections than would otherwise get some spotlight. Commiserations for this, fingers crossed for the F O'C!

Elizabeth Baines said...

Well, as I say, I don't know if I was even in for it!!!